Saturday, June 30, 2018

Becoming Farmer

Experience
The first thing I grew was bell chilli ( dalle khursani) in 2014. My mother sowed bell chillies seed during her visit to my work station in Charikot. As those seed grew day by day, the need of transplanting to another pot was necessary. So, I managed to collect some soil from the surrounding and planted those seedling. i used my vegetable waste for the plant nutrients. The chillies grew so well that I got good harvest. That little success encouraged me towards growing vegetables and always had a dream of planting other vegetables.

Plot
My mother had been growing vegetables in one ropani of land near our house at Swoyambhu. she planted asparagus,corns, garlic, turmeric, green leafy vegetables( rayo, tori, choisom etc) and beans. Before one year, she left for australia where my brothers live. so the responsibility of maintaining the land came to me. First, I was so worried as I had never been into growing veggies.

Basics
The only basic thing I knew for taking care of plants was that to remove unnecessary weeds. The important vegetable in that garden is asparagus. It is perennial plant so,  the weeds should be removed time and again. I couldn't take care of corns so they turned into yellow plants. I took care of strawberries so the harvesting was quiet good. My son's organic fruit supplement is fulfilled with strawberries. I was happy. I learned to harvest garlic. The three months went so quickly and mother returned back.

This year
This year, my mom went to australia again and for long time. the responsibility is for longer time. so i was worried and was determined to do something new in the garden. With the help of father, I managed to plant some cucumber, pumpkin, corn, snake beans, bitter brinjal (bihi). 

Time
I generally work 2 hours in the evening, mostly 5-7 pm. the temperature is good at that time. the weeding takes most of the time.

Google help
I was watching all the plants closely all the time. The cucumbers were one of them. Though the sapling sprout on the ground, the development was not good. the leaves of the cucumber plants were turning white. this was giving me a tension so i googled about problem. it said that the calcium deficiency is the cause behind it. so, I burnt some paper and newspaper to get some ashes which contain calcium, phosphorus and other minerals. I put the ashes on those cucumbers. suddenly, the next day the height of the plant grew tremendously.  I was so happy and dreamt of tiny cucumbers growing. After that i searched google for everything. like removing weeds, gardening tips etc.

The joy of becoming farmer moment
The cucumbers bloomed and the tiny cucumbers came to shape. one day, i was watching every node of the cucumbers so carefully and suddenly there it was' Eureka ! a medium size cucumber '. behind the leaves. I was so so happy. The happiness can't be defined in words. my first cucumber. after the full growth, i couldn't pick. the love for my cucumber restricted to pick. after some attempt, i had to pick as it was going to mature soon. But the memories of growing has remained so fresh in my mind and yes i have pictures for refreshing my memories.

Other vegetables

Asparagus:
 I pick 5-10 sticks every day.

Green leafy vegetables grows time to time. radish ( gante mula), latte, choisum, nettle (sisnu) are there which is enough for my family. 

tomatoes: they grew itself and are fruiting right now

snake beans are there and three harvest has been already done.

Bitter brinjal ( Bihi) are flowering and i hope to get a good harvest soon. there are almost about 20 plants in the garden.

strawberries: 8-10 fruits per day.

Ladies finger

Ground apples

Chillies




My first cucumber

First cucumber bloom
good harvest from the garden



Asparagus




choisom





gardening tools






ground apple